• Service
  • FAQ
  • FAQ on contracts and applications
+49-40-30 68 74-0

FAQ on contracts and applications

Questions on contracts and applications

Do I have to undergo a medical examination beforehand?

When you apply for an EXPAT GERMANY policy, you must submit a health certificate or evidence of a previous German insurance policy if you have been resident in Germany for longer than 31 days. The health certificate must not have been issued more than 14 days before the date of your application.

When you apply for an EXPAT INIFINITY policy, you must submit a health declaration. If you are aged 60 or above, you must also submit a health certificate which was issued no more than 3 months before the date of the application. 

Why do most of your products have a time limit?

Usually, expatriates only stay abroad for a limited period of time. Most of our insurance products are designed for these circumstances. The limited policy durations also mean that we can offer better premiums than other providers.

But for moving abroad permanently, we have developed EXPAT RETIRED and EXPAT RESIDENT - which have no time limits at all.

Is it possible to pay the insurance premium via bank transfer?

Yes. But please note that if you pay in instalments you will be charged an additional fee of 2% of your premium for biannual instalments.

Please contact us if you have further questions on this subject.

Why does BDAE charge extra for payment in multiple instalments?

Payments made in instalments create additional administrative work. To cover the resulting costs, we are obliged to charge additional fees. 

What are the terms of cancellation?

Our terms of cancellation are as follows:

  • EXPAT INFINITY: Cancellation at the latest with a notice period of one month to the end of the insurance year.
  • PRIVATE PREMIUM, EXPAT PRIVATE, EXPAT FLEXIBLE: You can terminate the insurance relationship at any time; it then ends with the expiry of the month following the termination.
  • EXPAT VISIT: is taken out on a daily basis. In the event of an early return, we require proof (e.g. flight tickets) in order to be able to prematurely terminate the contract on a day-by-day basis.
  • EXPAT ACCIDENT, EXPAT HAFTPFLICHT: Cancellation at the latest 3 months before the end of the insurance year.
  • EXPAT ACADEMIC: At the end of a current month.Expat Infinity: Cancellation period at the latest with one month's notice to the end of the insurance year.Expat Legal/Legal Plus: Cancellation period at the latest 3 months before the end of the insurance year.
  • EXPAT LEGAL, LEGAL PLUS: Notice period no later than 3 months before the end of the insurance year.
  • EXPAT RETIRED and EXPAT RESIDENT: with a notice period of one month to the end of the respective insurance year (31.03. for EXPAT RETIRED and 30.09. for EXPAT RESIDENT).
  • Corporate clients' health insurance/unemployment insurance: at the end of the current month
  • Membership in BDAE e.V.: three months to the end of the current calendar year (31.12.)

Can I cancel my insurance immediately after returning to my home country?

You must observe our terms of cancellation. There is one exception to this, under Section 205 of the German Insurance Contract Act (VVG): if you are legally obliged to take out health insurance in Germany following your return, then you may cancel your policy with us up to 3 months following the date from which this obligation applies. In this case, you will need to provide proof of the obligation within two months after we request this in writing.

What will you accept as proof of my stay abroad?

We may request the following documents as proof:

  • Passport
  • Flight tickets 
  • Confirmation of visa

How often can I renew my insurance cover?

The EXPAT PRIVATE insurance product offers the possibility of a one-off extension for a further 5 years with the consent of the insurance company. 

For our other products, please consult the terms and conditions and contact us if you have any questions.

What do I need to know if I live in the USA or in Canada?

Many of our products have a special deductible for the USA/Canada. In addition, you must notify the insurer in advance of a planned stay in the USA/Canada in advance.

Please take note of the terms and conditions of your policy.

Please also note that claims for the USA/Canada are handled by our service provider.

What is the overall level of cover offered - is it comparable to statutory or private insurance in Germany?

The range of benefits offered depends on the policy you choose. Generally speaking, all products in the EXPAT series offer cover that is comparable to private health insurance cover in Germany.